My maternity leave ends in about two weeks, leaving me wondering how I am going to juggle 9-5 at the office and 24-7 as a mommy and wife. Meals take a lot me a lot of time to prepare – I have been trying to experiment with preparing 2 meals at one go. Take what I am preparing for Adam and I, and adapt for our 12 month old. Last night Adam and I had Eggplant Parmesan for dinner and Niko had eggplant puree with a hard-boiled egg. Prep time for our meal was about 20 minutes and cooking time another 20 minutes.
- One and half eggplants sliced paper-thin.
- Cut the other half of the eggplant into cubes.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the paper-thin slices of eggplant on baking sheets (make sure to grease the baking sheet with a bit of olive oil before placing eggplant on it) and sprinkle a bit of salt and a bit more olive oil on top.
- Place the cubed eggplant into a greased pan and sprinkle a bit of olive oil on top.
- Place eggplant (sliced and cubed) into oven for about 25 minutes.
- For the Eggplant Parmesan – spread tomato sauce on bottom, lay down eggplant slices, spread cheese (I use a mix of mozzarella, parmesan, asiago and provolone) then spread tomato sauce on top, followed by eggplant, and then cheese, do this until you have used up all your eggplant. Bake (at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes).
- For Baby/Toddler Food – I poured olive oil into a pan, chopped one clove of garlic and added that to the pan – after about a minute I added the cubed eggplant, spinach and tomato sauce. I let it cook for about 10 minutes and then poured the contents of the pan into a blender. Blended into a thick puree, but not chunky. I poured this puree over a hard-boiled egg I had cut into small pieces.
Eggplant Parmesan before I popped it into the oven (left). Eggplant before puree (right)